Saturday, September 16, 2006

"Do you suffer from long term memory loss? I don't remember"

Lest you think I have forgotten my little corner of the internetz, it was more an aversion to crazy backlog than forgetfulness that deterred me from posing in the last month or so. I'm back, at any rate. And now, I'm going to do a quick rundown on stuff, by the numbers:

1) Hummers VS Hybrids.
A friend of mine suggested that allegations of overall environmental unfriendlyness of hybrid cars could be a smear campaign by auto marketers. It makes enough sense, but again, it's all hearsay. My take is that, if nothing else, hybrids are at least made of good intentions. Whether or not they are still the road to hell, doesn't matter as much as the fact that your intent was good. Gas Guzzlers are at least impolite cars, and at most, road menaces. I think I'll go for ethanol, or use Solar energy to charge up a pure electric car. There's a company by the name of Tesla Motors which will be producing a $10^5* 'lectric roadster, which is be outside my "wildest dream" pricing bracket, but maybe future models will offer hope. If electric cars can take off, and avoid the myriad impediments imposed by the oil-gas hegemony, then a consumer-priced model may make it to market. Here's hoping!
* $100 000, for the non-math-y types.

2) New Stuffs
I recently acquired an old P-2 350Mhz rig, with 384 Megs o' RAM, and an ATI rage-family AGP card. Nothing fancy, but it beats the good ol' NO COMPUTER that I had in my room previously. Due to certain parental permission issues, the thing's not hooked up to our lan :(, but I have plans for it. BIG plans. Here is an article on how the board can support coppermine P3s using a 'slocket' adapter (which I found at the local computer store for $25). I think I'll get a load of 5 Celeron 633s on eBay stores, and find a good overclocker in the bunch. That, and an old GF3 card should make for a not-altogether-bad retro system. Apparently the 633s can go to 900+MHz. Mostly, this is just a timewaster until I get "funding" for an upgrade or new system, but it's going to be fun. Anyone with old computer junk (especially older model Athlons; I need one for my collection), leave a comment if you feel like selling/giving away/trading something, and I 'll let you know if I could use /afford it. Thanks in advance.


3) RoN Rocks My Socks.
'Nuff said, really. I'm currently conquering the world in the name of the NETHERLANDS!. Soon, the Incas shall feel my wrath. Muahahahahah!

In other game-related news, HL2: Episode 2 is looking FRIKKIN' SWEET. New enemies are cool , and it looks like the pace of the game will not let up; I've seen 5 or 6 set-pieces in the trailers, which I would estimate to mean around the same number of levels - around 6 or 7 hours of gameplay, depending. That, Portal, and TF2 in one box? Yeah, sorry other devs; my next new game purchase has bought ME. If there's anything I'd say against ep2, it's that it doesn't look like there are any new weapons. I know that the gameplay is what counts, but even one added gun (or even the SLAMs from HL2dm) would be welcome. If indeed Valve has plans for anything of the sort, I retract this complaint, and instead curse them for not showing it off yet.

Finally, I 'm downloading the demo of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Impressions and quasi-review coming as soon as I get around to playing it.


Well, that's it for today. Props if you get the reference in my title.

No comments:

Some Rights Reserved

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.