Thursday, December 02, 2010

When I'm not writing

Today's Prompt:


December 2 Writing.

What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?

(Author: Leo Babauta)


The first thing that comes to mind is that - as a nonprofessional writer - it's not what I do, it's what I don't do that's the problem. If there is a problem. I mean, if I were intending to profit from my writing, then indeed I write too little. And I haven't written any fiction in at least a year. That's kind of a big if, though.


If, however, I interpret the question to mean "what do I do that doesn't contribute to the writing that you (as a blogger) actually do. In which case, what I do instead of writing (even when I think I should be) is more or less the same thing I do whenever I should be doing anything: videogames, wikipedia, TV Tropes, loud music, etc. No revelations here, just your standard time-wasting. Could I stop doing these things and just "git-r-done", as they say? ADHD kid vs. a world of distractions...place your bets, ladies and gentlemen.


I've been thinking that I might want to, at some point, look for a job writing a blog or even reviews for some tech site or other. Freelance for PC gamer or something. Probably not a good career move without an english degree, although now that I have a few IT certifications, I suppose it couldn't hurt to look for some kind of entry-level position. Someone's gotta be looking for an intern to run endless passes of the latest 3DMark while they skip out for coffee, after all. I'm only going into the trouble of mentioning this because I think the only way I could be expected to start writing on a more regular basis was if there was some kind of paycheque in it for me. Not that I don't like writing, but without a deadline or some kind of economic incentive, I write when I feel like I have something to say. Hopefully, something I haven't already said too, too much about (ie. Copyright, more recently Cyborgs). If that doesn't happen, I lose out on nothing...and you, dear reader, are spared another lecture about the value of sharing and sharing alike. Can we agree that it's probably better this way?


- LOUD!

No comments:

Some Rights Reserved

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.