Monday, September 20, 2010

Glorious Lethargy (18/30)

Skulking around the internets, I found some things. They are:


Transformers from repey815 on Vimeo.


Russian Badassery, this time of the Transformers variety.




Marian Call, singing with wonderful lyrics and vocal harmonies about the joys of being a (true) geek


And then this. Social commentary so biting that it will make you bleed. I don't think I'm going to be able to use the suffix "-man" ever again. Every woman I have ever called "dude", I am so very sorry. Clearly this is wrong practice and must stop.

1 comment:

Daydream Believer said...

I have some very important instructions for you. 1)Take a deep breath. 2) let yourself off that feminist hook you're squirming on right now.

I'll probably expand this into a proper post at some point, but the cliffnotes version is that there are a lot of things wrong with the system in general, and words have power, but they are also basically arbitrary. I personally believe it is more important to change the status of women than the words used to denote professions and positions in society. That said, one school of thought suggests that changing the words we use leads to changing the way we think about the things we refer to with those words. Another school of thought suggests that the social trend towards political correctness makes language cumbersome and awkward and effectively undermines the very things we try to accomplish. I tend to be on the side of political correctness to a degree, but in many cases, find it overkill.

Some Rights Reserved

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.