Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Zug Zug!

Market economies are great for some people, but these past few weeks have really reminded me of why I'm a communist (and no, it's not “'cause I'm a long-haired vegetarian in University”. Besides, that would point more to Greenpeace than Marx and Engels, n'est-ce pas?). I work in a small computer store down the street from my house, and I have it pretty good. I get breaks when I need them, most days I work only 6 hours, and it is very rare that I end up working on a weekend. In short, I can have a job and a life at the same time. The downside is that my hobby is my job...but most of the time it still feels too much like work. I have pretty minimal creative control, and I could probably be making more money elsewhere, which I hate to say is actually an issue for me because I'm paying Halifax rent this summer, due to the one-year length of a lease. I'd like to have some money left for discretionary spending, but I burn through what I have altogether too quickly for comfort. The nail in the coffin, so to speak, is that I spend a significant portion of the day being scolded by an angry old man with high blood pressure.


Now, here is where I am in a pickle. I like this job, but I expect that with the kind of skillset I have that I could make more money. Unfortunately there are people willing to work for my boss for free, in order to gain experience with computers, and I am barely clinging to my $8 an hour salary, for which I already serve as both a store clerk/cashier AND a techie. I can't really bargain my wages any higher due to the competition, but no other job or employer would be as forgiving of my not-inconsiderable flaws. So I'm stuck. I can't really go out into the job market and make more, because I would get my ass fired within a week or less, and I can't get better pay because I'd probably just get ditched for someone who wouldn't cost a penny to have on staff.


This leads me to a conclusion that I've come to before, and that's that I can't see any real future for myself that isn't based around some form of self-employment. I'm chronically late, I have poor tolerance for even the most legitimate of authority, and I'm not the easiest person to get along with at that. I just don't know if I have the skillset required to go into business for myself as soon as I will need to if I want to keep making money. I don't want to be leeching off my parents' educational savings my whole way through university, but while I am in school I don't think it is a good idea to be working anyone's hours but mine.


Wondering how he'll survive in the real world,


-LOUD!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The key to a job you like is a good boss above all. Even if the work sucks a good boss makes it way better. On the flip side a bad boss ruins an otherwise awesome job!

Anonymous said...

No offense, but can't you just... not be late and not disrespect authority?

Some Rights Reserved

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.