Monday, November 06, 2006

Worker Bee

I've been busy of late, so I apologize for not posting. I think I will go to bed early, and write a post on my anaemic Pentium II. I'll toss it on a USB key and have it up in a couple of days at the latest. While I'm out, send me some comments or Emails...I could answer them or something. In the meantime, have some rant:

"Branded Like Cattle"
The Citizen ran an article about a rally in Hamilton Ontario, the one Canadian stop of a tour called "Acquire the Fire: Branded by God". It's an evangelical tirade against 'empty' secular capitalism, which encourages youth to reject corporations who "want to own you". Funny thing is: sounds like this guy wants to own their souls. They ask that these kids publicly devote their lives to Jesus Christ. These rallies sell their own line of shirts. Is anyone else getting the sense that this is a substitution, more than solution? It's reminiscent of that gaming addiction treatment clinic that offered religion as an alternative to Everquest, or World of Warcraft. Belief is powerful. Religion is an exploitation of that power, and more. Think about Fascist rallies...the crowds became empowered by their unity. Same bag of tools, boys and girls, same bag of tools. The "Acquire the Fire" rallies were described as being "very emotional", and there were mentions of collective cries of "Je-sus". Think about it.

Devoting your life to a higer power is a crutch for a world that is too much to handle at times. I know that I don't think about the kind of stuff I post on my blog all the time, because it is impossible to function in such an existential manner. Decisions block our path, with the viscious consequences skulking through the underbrush, and we shut down. It is everyone's choice to make, but I choose to try and stay informed, so that when the time comes, I don't have to fall back on biblical verse to guide me. I'm no true existentialist, though. I know I wouldn't have the willpower to go on if I were. I try, and you can scoff at that if you like. I suppose what I'm saying is that I find it preferable to do my best not to be owned, rather than to turn to religion. That's just me, though. What do you think? I especially want to hear from my religious friends, if you are reading this. Is religion the answer to the complexities of modern life? Do teens need that 'moral compass'? General comments?

Ok, that will have to do for now. I'm Loud, and it's probably better that you're reading this instead of hearing it.

No comments:

Some Rights Reserved

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.