Sunday, July 16, 2006

Your Head A Splode!

I had a nice time swimming this afternon...until I managed to not only get water up my nose, but also completely screw up the pressure in my ears (doing an underwater somersault). The remainder of the day was spent feeling like my head was going to explode, or my eardrums would rupture...damn unpleasant. luckily, I went to my girlfriend's house, so all was not so bad. Even so, my ears are STILL not quite back to normal.

I'm supposed to be looking for a job now, and I'll admit that a little gainful employment would get the filthy luchre back in my pockets...for a while (I have both computer hardware and game habits that need to be fed, after all). There are a lot of fun jobs out there (I'm envious, for example, of an auburn-haired Aventis* awardwinner, who won a job at the NRC...and she gets to do quantum research), but I haven't a clue how I'd do at any of them. I don't know if I'd be too stubborn for my boss, or not friendly enough with the customers. I know two things: 1) I want a fun job, or what passes for "fun" with first-time employment, and 2) I want to work with something I'm knowledgeable in. I think this leaves Lab assistant, toy salesperson, or computer store dude...which are all jobs I'd love, if I could get them.

In the past, I have been confounded by why, and how, we work; we do day jobs, we push papers, and for what? We eke out our existence, making jokes about how work sucks, and hoping for better tomorrows, or a lottery win (same thing? Not always). Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the world would be better served if people worked for their own enjoyment. Build because you WANT to, push papers because you WANT to. Complaining about your job should be a sign that you ought to find a better place for yourself, not something typical. Granted, there will always be the office cockbites who make life miserable, but that really, really can't be helped.

I'm about to go on a trip to Scotland, and last year, I was in Japan for two-and-a-half weeks. I've been through a lot of Europe, and my family piggybacked on Dad's business trip to Australia when I was 3-4 years old. I'm less flummoxed by the nature of work, now; I'm the son of two people who know how to make it work for THEM.

Ok, so maybe this doesn't strike you as terribly novel. So be it, since I'm rather tired. Pont is, I've got to find a job, but I'm one of those people who spend forever looking for the right one (I do this in too many situations). I know I ought to just buckle down and get some experience, but I'm afraid of getting everything wrong. Apparently the rickshaw service downtown is hiring, though. Sounds like drudgery, but at least you get exercize in a very pretty part of the city. It may be my ticket out of Brokeville.

It's not as cool as studying Quantum physics, though. Damn, I need to do better at that contest* next year.

*The Aventis Biotech Challenge, which I got $100 for participating in. At least I got to work with a really cool scientist at the NRC. Incidentally, the next time someone suggests that there is no such thing as a 'cool scientist' or somesuch, tell them they're wrong. Since you don't know the guy I'm talking about, just use Bill Nye as an example. That man is awesome.

No comments:

Some Rights Reserved

Creative Commons License
This work is licenced under a Creative Commons Licence.